Saturday, September 6, 2008

Post Gustav

This last week has been a blur, with enough work and stress to last for 3 weeks. I personally was only away from the hotel for about 3 hours total from Sunday to Friday at noon.

Gustav while not a very powerful hurricane at landfall was still able to produce the windiest storm in the recorded history of Baton Rouge. You can see the effects of this throughout the older neighborhoods of the city, like the one I live in called 100 Oaks. Most of the city has been out of power since Monday morning. Many parts, including my neighborhood, are not expected to get power back for some time, as many as 21 days. At least the electricity bill will be low this month.

On Friday Kristin and I had had enough of the hotel and decided to get away for a day, and headed to Lafayette to her Mom's house. We picked up a generator from her Dad's house and settled in for an easy night.

Today I have done not much more than sit on the couch and watch College football and the history channel. Kristin filled the day shopping for a wedding dress. I found out that wedding dresses cost more than the typical man's wedding band. She wears the dress for maybe 8 hours but the man wears the ring for the rest of his life.

This was a much needed day of rest, for the both of us.

Now we just have to get ready for the Ike. The bright side of this is if I don't have power restored by then at least I won't have to worry about losing electricity again.

No comments: