Sunday, April 6, 2008

An End To Suffering

This morning the Matriarch of our family Wilberta Brinson died. She had suffered for over 10 years with Alzheimer's disease. Even though she has been dead in the mind for at least the last 6 years. It doesn't make her passing any easier on the family.

The good thing is that she had a relationship and is now sitting with Jesus, and I am sure has already had a great long hug from my grandfather who went ahead of her in 1991. All suffering and confusion that she had here over the last few years has now evaporated away, and she now has clarity that we can not even imagine.

What kind of woman was she?

If anyone asks what kind of person she was, all I have to do is tell them to look at my father and then tell me what kind of person she was. For the last 9 years she has been living in an assisted living home in Charlotte. My father took the reigns on taking care of her and staying with her while this disease ran its course. My parents were determined that grandma would not be one of those that was left in a home and forgotten. Everyday Dad would get off of work and have dinner with her (although in the past 3-4 years he has actually been feeding her). He would even go on Sat and Sunday. If for some unforeseen reason my Dad couldn't make it my Mom would go in his stead.

So what kind of woman was she?

If children are a reflection of their parents then, she must have been an incredible woman because my father is one incredible man to do what he did.

Though it is sad, I am thankful that the suffering is over for her and that she can finally see what heaven is like.

We'll miss you Di-Di mama.

No comments: